Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Let's play catch up!

Well, hello there. Let's catch up.


The week in Philly was unbelievable. And that is an under-statement. If I were to go into every detail of it, it'd take me a week. It's sad to think that it was one of the last major trips with everyone on that trip. I am humbled I was able to go and share the life changing experiences with everyone that went. =] To find out more, check out JJ's blog.


Moving on...


After our "Spring Break", that wasn't a break, we returned to dreaded school. Right now there are something like 32 days of school left! I don't know about everyone else, but I have had this "Senioritis" since freshman year. There is no cure. Anyways.. I started the last quarter of school with Psychology as first block. This class has sparked much discussion. Let's make one thing clear before I dig deeper into these subjects: I never said what I believe, I am just making statements. To be completely honest, I am not sure what I believe...

One of the topics is hope. "There is no such thing as hope. Hope unknown." These are both quotes I am sure you have heard about, or read about. I definitely think there are two different types of hope. I am not disputing the biblical view of hope, but is it necessary to have hope (worldly view) in order to have Hope (biblical view)? Hope is a situational word. Hope differs as to what each person believes. Life without Hope (biblically speaking) would be dark and pointless. In that sense, we shouldn't be hopeless. But what about hope? If hope is what gets you from one day to the next, then go ahead and believe in it. We shouldn't be so hopeful though that we do not see the reality of things, or so hopeless that we see no point in going from one day to the next. Now is that Hope, or hope? 

Next topic. Reality. Reality is bold in the previous paragraph because of another statement. "The only reality that exists is what is in our minds." We are born with a clean slate. Nothing. Reality is what we make it. Or is it...?

Final topic for this post. Altruism. We do everything for ourselves. Whether we think we are doing something for someone else or not, in the end we are doing it for ourselves. There is the cost/reward: where wonderful minds figure out what the cost is to do something (help someone out), and what our reward will be. That's pretty much self-explanatory. Also, there is empathy. When we empathize with someone, we have the ability to understand and share the same feelings with others. It's still about ourselves. No matter what. Consciously or subconsciously. It doesn't mean we are wrong. Everyone is self-centered to a certain degree. Let's take feeding the homeless, as we did in Philly. In Proverbs 19:17 "Being kind to the poor is like lending to the Lord, he will reward you for what you have done." Okay, point taken? In the end, we are rewarded. Ourselves. Me. Even when we help others, it's about us. 


Okayyyy. After that, you may want to severely hurt me. Note: We won't always agree. I'm not out to start arguments with anyone. I am also not judging anyone. Simply questioning, and somewhat defending things. I am still figuring out what exactly I believe. So, as J.sica wrote, lets converse! =] lool. (Ima word stealer!)


P.S. I believe in one that that is for sure and will never change. That is that Jesus Christ is my Savior and through Him all things are possible. I wouldn't be who I am today without that, and I just wanted to make that clear. When I say I am questioning things, my faith is not one of them. =]


Please, pLease, plEase, pleAse, pleaSe, pleasE comment. Thanks!

4 comments:

Jayseekaaa said...

you made a booboo

altruism is the opposite.


Unselfish concern for the welfare of others; selflessness.

Cristina said...

wow that was really good and i think a little diffrent on somethings but i loved reading that i like to see other views and was well wrote love ya

dK. or Kaydee. said...

Okay... mistake.

But the debate is still whether or not altruism exists.
Right?

uthpastorjj said...

There's a great book...we did it as a study over the summer two summers ago...it's called "It's Not About Me." When we do something that is right, there is no doubt that we're going to receive some sort of reward. Whether it be the simple idea that doing something good makes me feel better for myself or whether it be the eternal reward that we receive, we can gain personally for doing good.

But it's purpose that is essential. What is the purpose in my doing this good thing? If I enter into said good deed with the mindset, "I want to go do this so that I can feel better about myself," then I've made it about me. Or if I do it so that others can see how good I am, the Bible says, I have my reward now, and my eternal rewards are going to be burned up.

However, Philippians says we're to have in us "the mind of Christ Jesus" who left heaven, to come to earth, to become a man, to die. For us. Altruism at its finest. He had this unselfish concern for others. Love is defined as putting others needs before our own. So if you do everything for yourself, you can't really love. Love is selfless. Altruism (by Jess' definition) is selfless.

Again, these arguments are in a bubble of vague thoughts and ideas. However, when put up against concrete reality (both life and Scripture) I find them incompatible with Truth and experience. When they are exposed to the light, they are left with a gaping hole.